Wednesday 30 August 2017

Many happy returns - birthday 1904



On June 8th, 1904 John celebrated his 14th birthday. He left school soon afterwards and started working in his father's butcher's shop. Late in his life, he recorded:

"I remember wanting to go into the Omnibus business when I was a lad, but in my young days' children whose parents had a small one-man business had to help in that business. No doubt if I had any brothers, no doubt I should have done, but being an only son I had to follow in my father's footsteps. By doing so I pleased him and enabled him to die happy. I am positive that I have gained by doing so."

He was a shareholder of Southdown from its beginning and left a collection of timetables starting from around 1920. These were donated to the Amberley Industrial Museum and some are on display in the Southdown Garage exhibit.

June 7th 1904 was a Tuesday. The first electric tram service in Preston started its run at 7.10 am on that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A postcard from India

  A postcard from Charley Tidy to one of his aunt's from Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, India . The postcard is dated 23rd April 1908 but has no...

Postcard locations